Human hair extensions can be applied using a variety of different methods, but sewing the weave to cornrowed hair is one of the most common methods.Clip in hair extensions may be a great option for someone desiring a temporary way to change the length, texture and fullness of her hair. Clip in human hair extensions are created on a machine or hand-tied weft known as a track. The track is sewn onto cornrows created with the natural hair.
- Wash, condition, detangle and blow dry your natural hair.
- Decide what type of style you want achieve with the extensions. This must be decided beforehand so you can leave some natural hair to cover the extensions with.
- Separate the natural hair that will be used to cover the extensions with and pin it out of the way. Hair from around the edges or crown of the head is typically used.
- Braid the remainder of the natural hair in a continuous cornrow, or braid several cornrows going from the front to the back. Make sure the cornrows are thin and lay flat against the scalp. Secure the end of the cornrow to the head with a bobby pin, if necessary.
- Place the track extension on top of the cornrow braid to make sure it is the right size. Cut the track to size if necessary.
- Sew the track extension onto the cornrow using a curved hair-weaving needle and heavy hair-weaving thread that matches the color of the extension. Go over the track extension at least twice with the needle and thread to be sure that it is secure, then cut the excess thread with scissors.
- Repeat Steps 5 and 6 until the whole head has been covered with track extensions.
- Cover the track extensions with the human hair you left out — making sure none of the tracks are visible. Style the extensions as desired.
Human hair extensions can be washed, dried, curled and cared for just as you would care for natural hair.
Clip in track extensions can last up to two months before needing to be done over.
Wash the extensions and your scalp every 7 to 14 days to remove dirt and product build-up.
Avoid braiding the cornrows too tight to prevent the natural hair from breaking off.